Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A different view of mother's milk


This is a very common image of a woman as a mother. She is a nurturer, she's loving, she's protective, and she is a caretaker. Her body language tells the viewer that she is all about her baby. She is completely wrapped up - almost literally in motherhood. As a mother, I identify with her but think the picture is not quite complete. If asked to define myself, being a mother would certainly be one of the first things I'd say, but I'm also a wife, student, friend, etc. I think it's dangerous for women to be defined only by and through their children because it perpetuates female stereotyping.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

I agree - it's never good to be too involved in only one aspect of your life. Balance is necessary. And low stress of course.