Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Gram Parsons RULES

Gram Parsons called his music "Cosmic American Music" because he incorporated, rock, country, and r&b. Many after him have called his music "country rock" (a term he hated) or "alternative country," but I just call it genius.

Parsons was a southern musician with big talent and big demons. His life was spent trying to come to terms with his religious beliefs and his addiction to drugs, alchohol, and the rock and roll lifestyle. Parsons' trademark was the Nudie suits he wore (cowboy-cut suits with intricate rhinestone designs)that had a cross emblazed across the back and poppy and marijuana plants on the rest of the suit. Parsons literally wore his struggle on his back.

His music tells stories of relationships, love, loss, and conflict. His signature album is Grievous Angel, which is a haunting must have cd for any music lover. My favorite song is "Hot Burrito #1," song about love and loss. Parsons' voice is vulnerable and the tune is so sweet. The chorus is: "I'm your toy/I'm your old boy/And I don't want no one but you to love me/ I wouldn't lie/You know I'm not that kind of guy. The song makes me feel sad for this person who has lost love but can't let it go. It's a gorgeous song.

Parsons recorded with The International Submarine Band, The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Bros., solo, and with Emmy Lou Harris. He became friends with the Rolling Stones, in fact, Mick Jagger gave Parsons the song "Wild Horses" and Parsons recorded it before it became a Stones hit.

Gram Parsons died in 1973 from a drug overdose of morphine and tequila. After his death he has become a primary influence for many musicians across genres. However, he has been most influential in alternative country. Artists like Ryan Adams, Jeff Tweedy,and Lucnida Williams all pay homage to Parsons. A great tribute album is Return of the Grievous Angel, which I highly recommend.

I love southern rock and alternative country. I truly think it's because I grew up in Montana listening to classic country artists like Cash, Lynn, Robbins, Williams and I loved it. I also love rock and roll, especially southern rock like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Tom Petty, Drive By Truckers. Alternative Country pulls it all together; Great guitar riffs, country twang, smart lyrics.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

I also love Gram and you did a nice job covering him. Thanks again for the cds and letting me look at the cd book. Excellent summary!